Monday, October 10, 2011

A Task Unfulfilled

I was sitting at my computer on Wednesday evening when I decided to do a quick check of the news. “Steve Jobs Dead” read the headline on the Drudge Report.


Since Wednesday night, I’ve read a great deal about Jobs and his life. I found out he was adopted, wondered how he managed to keep so much of his life a secret and, of course, marveled at how his accomplishments have impacted so many lives.

But it was his comments in one of his final interviews that really captivated my thoughts. When asked why he had authorized a tell-all biography, Jobs responded: “I wanted my kids to know me. . . . I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did."

It was a sad statement to read.  Jobs didn’t necessarily express regret that he had made the decisions that he had, but he certainly realized he had made a choice. Jobs had chosen to pursue his career at the expense of allowing his children to know him. 

For all of his accomplishments, it was a tragic decision and one that Scripture warns those of us who are parents to avoid. It is especially tragic for the believing parent who has a special charge to bring up their children “in the discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Eph 6:4).

To fulfill this charge takes time.  Our children do not know God intuitively.  It is the joyful task of each parent to spend the time necessary to help them know the Lord. 

No comments: