Thursday, March 22, 2007

It all started out pretty innocently...
















This morning, the kids asked if they could go downstairs and "color" for a little while. After about 10 minutes, I heard some giggling, an "Oh, no!", then more giggling. When I came downstairs a few minutes later, Noah was on the table, covered in stamp ink, there was a puddle of ink water on the floor, and his older siblings were standing back admiring their handiwork.

After disciplining the older kids, we gave everyone baths and that seemed to be the end of it. This afternoon we were looking at the pictures we had taken of the event when the kids wandered in. We tried not to laugh but couldn't really help it. The kids thought this meant that they could laugh as well. I informed them that it meant no such thing. Austin paused for a moment then said, "Dad, when will we be allowed to laugh at it?"

As they prepared to leave the room, Austin said, "Hannah, I think we did a good job making him a pirate."

"I thought we were putting makeup on him," Hannah countered.

It was then that I realized that their involvement in the matter had been far less passive than I had originally presumed. (Hannah: "Oh, did I not mention that earlier?")

1 comment:

Mom B said...

Let's see...I'm seeing Noah follow Hannah and Austin anywhere...I'm seeing proof that two people can work together toward different goals and neither one know the difference, and both be pleased with the final product. I can hardly wait to see what #4 brings to the group!!!
Love, MOM